Thursday, January 20, 2011

Acceptable Canadian Currency

If you live in Canada, you will recognize the above pictured currency known as "Canadian Tire Money". For my US neighbours and other folks who browse my blog on the occasion, an explanation is required. Canadian Tire Money is really coupons, issued by the Canadian Tire Store company, which resembles real currency, and can be used in their stores. For the past several months, I have been saving my CTM that I received for gas fillups used for my commute to work. I love coupons and I love getting something for my money, especially when it comes to petroleum. Don't get me start on the price of gas these days. I will ignore that thought for a moment. Back to my story...I had a purpose for my growing stack of CTM. I had a mission in mind for quite some time. But I was waiting for the right moment. Paint Sale!
This is a pic of my newly painted Dining Room! Yes, I did it all by myself. Two hands and three days labour but it's finished and I did it! What did it look like before? Not hard to imagine. The walls were an off-white colour with sheers on the windows. I never really liked this room because it always felt cold to me. As well, because of the openness of the main floor in the house, I needed to come up with colours that flowed from one room to the next. I think that I have accomplished that goal. Here is the surprising part...cost!

Paint, paint supplies, new outlets and plates for switches...$26.61 (using $14.45 in CTM and the paint was on sale for $10 off a can). Area rug from Lowe's (okay, I have to give Neil credit here since he spotted it and the price was right...reduced to clear and there was only one left and it had my name on it! It would have been wrong to leave it behind)...$73.40 (regular price $168) Grand total...$100.01 spent and I ended up with a totally different looking Dining Room that I now just love! Hey "Extreme Make Over"!! Beat that!! Okay, I know I went 1 cent over budget but who's counting!! Next mission...to find press back chairs for around the table. I think that this is another reason why I don't use this room very often cause there is no place to sit.

No comments: