Monday, December 20, 2010

"My" All Time Favorite Christmas Movies

Once the beginning of December rolls around, it's time (in my little mind) to start watching Christmas movies. The first one that I start out with is "Family Stone" which is definitely at the top of "My All Time Favorite List". Sorry, but it beats "Love Actually" hands down (in my little mind). Yes, I know it's a real toss-up...Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson and Colin Firth but come on, who cannot resist Dermot Mulroney. Do you remember him in "The Wedding Date"? Oh my!! Suit and all! As well, there is Craig T. Nelson, Diane Keaton (classy actress), Sarah Jessica Parker (after a while, you start to feel sorry for her as she gets herself in deeper and deeper with Everett's family), Rachel McAdams (cause she's Canadian and cute as can be! Remember her in "The Notebook"?) Okay, next...


No introductions/explanations required here because it has been around since 1947! This is one movie that I remember vividly as a kid growing up on the farm, sitting around the old "black n' white" tv wearing our pajamas. It will always remain on my "All Time Fav List"! Next...


Cause it's Jim Carrey (another Canadian) and it was directed by Ron Howard (remember Ritchie Cunningham from Happy Days?). Every time I watch it, I see something different since there is so much detail in every scene. As well, wouldn't you say that Martha May had the "hottest outfits"! Gosh, she even sleeps in pearls! As well, who wouldn't want to walk around with a "cup of eggnog" on their head?? I would if I could. Next...



Yet, another classic this time involving "The Muppets" and Michael Caine, an all time favorite actor of mine! (Remember Michael in "Cider House Rules"? The very best!) Here is another movie that I see some thing different every time I watch it.
And Kermit the Frog as "Bob Cratchit" and his wife "Mrs. Cratchit" (Miss Piggy). I always have to dab my eyes during the second last scene of the movie. You know, when Scrooge asks about Tiny Tim's future and then you see a vacant cane by the fireplace. Gets me every time. "Bah, humbug".



And finally, last but not least, "The Sound of Music". Okay, this really isn't a Christmas movie but I do save it for the New Year Year or Day (if I'm not working). I never really noticed/took interest in this movie as a kid growing up because it involved the uniting of Nazi Germany with Austria which I really wasn't familiar with and I didn't appreciate war films. It wasn't until I was much older in life that I came to understand "Maria" and her relationship with the von Trapp family. Can you name all seven children from the oldest to the youngest? I would have to "google" that answer.

I just remembered a couple more Holiday Classics that are in my collection..."White Christmas" and "Charlie Brown's Christmas". Definitely no explanation required here.

So there you have it...my list of favorite Christmas movies. You can agree or disagree with me. It doesn't really matter all the much. It's more personal preferences.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas!

No comments: