Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Motivation, Determination and the Reward

See this house. It's my neighbour's house. During this past summer he repainted the entire outside. With a paint brush, by hand and several cans of paint. How do I know for sure? Cause I watched him while laying on the couch eating bon bons or sitting on the deck with the newspaper in one hand and a glass of wine in the other. Just kidding!! No, I was too busy painting my 70 foot picket fence or digging out another flowerbed. However, watching him gave me the motivation and the determination to finally get the mudroom painted at the back of the house.
I had no excuses other than "when I get around to it". I had been dragging my heels for several years and preferred that visitors used the front door instead the back due to the white peeling paint. It was embarrassing. I never liked it until now. It took me several weeks to get it done since I was dealing with the change in our weather plus tendonitis in my wrists from painting the fence. But it's done and I am so happy! (Please excuse the dead looking basil in the pot off to the left of the pic. It got hit with frost the other night and I haven't dumped it into the compost bin yet. That's on today's list of "things to get done").

My reward for all my hard work, determination and dedication..."Pumpkin Pie Blizzard" from the Dairy Queen!! It's basically a pumpkin pie all smushed up in soft ice cream with whip cream on the top. Calories? I don't know! Grams of fat? Who cares? All I know for sure is that it tastes as good as it looks and well worth the calories!



Look at the generous dusting of nutmeg on the whip cream. Evil but good! However, they're gone! The pumpkin pie blizzard was the flavour of the month for October and won't be back until next year. Approximatley 322 days from now! I can't wait. In the meantime, I will find something else to paint and reward myself with a different flavoured blizzard or bon bons or wine or chocolate. Oh the list of "potential rewards" is never ending.


2 comments:

Colleen G said...

Sharon, if you like those Pumpkin Blizzards you might like my new discovery; I made pumpkin butter for the first time and mix a couple of tablespoons in with my morning yogurt. Not quite so many calories as a blizzard but same yummy taste. Less calories than a SB pumpkin spice latte too. Love your mudroom entrance now.

Dolores said...

Oh gosh that does look good. I like the pumpkin spice latte but for some reason it escaped my notice until I had ordered just a chai latte. Oh well. I did get some fat quarters I didn't need but they were on sale.
I do like your paint job and your neighbour must have a lot of free time on his hands.