Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"The Amazing Race" Tryouts

Being a shift worker, I don't have a lot of weekends off so it kind of limits time for Neil and I to spend some quality time together. Whenever I do have a Saturday/Sunday or both off, I try to find something for us to do together. This past weekend, I was going to be off on Saturday and started combing the newspapers for what was happening in our area. I wouldn't want to miss out on anything especially this time of year when it's starting to look like Christmas with lots of craft shows/bazaars and because I like to dragging Neil along. By his heels! Against his free will! It strengthens our relationship!! My conversation with Neil started out like this..."The weather is suppose to be nice on Saturday. We could go for a drive to the Pakenham area (Keep in mind Neil likes to drive. I'm starting to work on him. I better start making this sound like a good idea.) and we can enjoy the scenery and stop and have a nice lunch along the way." Neil's response "Okay??" (Which really means, I'm listening and I'm starting to get nervous because she's been thinking again. He's looking a bit skeptical. I might as well put it out there.) "While we're there, we could go to the Christmas Craft Show. You never know what you just might find." Neil is now thinking "Oh Lord, I can just imagine how many more ideas she's got juggling in her mind at this moment and it's involving me." Final response from Neil after a moment of hesitation, "I don't think so!" Well that idea just "crashed and burned". Nice try! Let's try another idea. "The weather is suppose to be nice on Saturday. Do you want to go and try out that Aerial Adventure that we've heard so much about?" I have a couple of friends who recently went and gave it rave reviews. Neil's response "That could be fun. Lets look into it." Well, a half hour later we were booked for Saturday at 1 p.m. Basically it's an outdoor adventure obstacle course up in trees through different suspended bridges and zip lines.

After being strapped in a harness with clips, we got an orientation from one of the guides. Off we went in a group of about 30 people.

Basically, there are a total of four courses and you start out at the beginner stage and work your way to the advance levels. At first, I didn't know if I could do it or not since I have a slight fear of heights. Okay, that's an understatement. I have a huge fear of heights! But after a while, you were so focused on the obstacles/bridges, you kind of forgot how high up you actually where. It reminded me of a task on "The Amazing Race" and we didn't want to be the last team to arrive and be eliminated.


Everyone in the group went along at their own pace. No pressure here!! I thought it would be a great place to take a "first date". Nothing like seeing someone crack under pressure. You would get to know someone real quick! It would certainly determine if there was going to be a "second date" or not. After a while, I was starting to crack. The sun was starting to go down and we still had two more courses to go through. At the end of each leg, you took a "zip line" to the end of the course. We were up 30-50 feet in places and there were times I thought I was going to cry. There were also times that I wanted my Mom!



We finally got through the third section of the course and the guide asked us if we were going to finish with the fourth leg. I immediately asked "Does it involve that zip line that we saw above us in the parking lot?" The guide responded with "Yep! The entire fourth course is all zip lines!" No way, but Neil went. This is Neil up in the trees. He is unclipping and reclipping to the next section of the zip line.





This is Neil coming out the trees on the zip line above the parking lot that I had mentioned and saw earlier. After going across this line, you unclip and reclip to another zip line that went across a lake. I betcha Neil is wishing that he was at a Christmas Craft Show about right now. I however stayed on solid ground. Someone had to capture the moment on camera!! Overall, it was a great way to challenge yourself. Neil can't believe that he actually took the last zip line which was at least 8 stories high. My palms are sweating just thinking about it! Take a look at the website if you dare! http://www.aventurelafleche.ca/en/lafleche-adventure-aerial-adventure-park




No comments: