Monday, August 10, 2009

Rainy Weekend Activity









Yesterday was a perfect day to be creative...in the rain. Not far from our cottage is Dawn King http://www.dawnkingrustic.ca/ who makes rustic cedar furniture and offers classes. It just so happened that this past weekend she was teaching an "arbour" class. I've made twig furniture before which sits in the front porch at the house. I've always loved the look arbours in gardens but appreciated the ones that were a bit different. I showed up Sunday morning at Dawn's place with my list of tools and went to work. It was a snap putting together since the frame work had already been precut by Dawn herself. The majority of the time was spent creating the sides and top by bending, drilling, nailing the cedar branches into a rustic theme. You can see the end results. I'm really pleased however, Neil has to go back next weekend to pick up my arbour with the trailer. It kind of reminds me of "science projects" that end up bigger than expected and you had to get your Mom to drive you and your project to school since it wouldn't fit on the bus. I remember those days all to well!!

3 comments:

Tammy in Ontario, Canada said...

Your arbour looks very nice Sharon. I have taken a class before and made a bench (love seat style). Unfortunately i never did get the protective varnish on it and it eventually got rotten outside! I have always wanted to make a arbour since and maybe another bench again. Maybe I'll get the information from you for this lady and take a class next summer if she still offers them.

Rhonda said...

Wow! You are really good at this. I've always wanted to learn how to do that but, alas, I'm right in the middle of nowhere. Your work is beautiful. Take care.

Becky said...

Wow. What beautiful work. Love it!