Sunday, August 23, 2009

Local Observations




I was driving home the other day and happened to notice something in my peripheral vision. I did a quick "double take", made a big "u-turn" and headed back to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Have you noticed the trees? Please don't hate me for mentioning it since we have had a disappointing summer. Where did I spot these trees changing colors so soon? That's right...Brockville Cemetery. It just so happened that I had my camera with me and decided to take a stroll around the grounds. Have you ever done this? No, it's not creepy, spooky or even eerie. As you know, everyone is "dying to get in there". It's very interesting, if you love history.
My mother grew up in the country outside of a town called Palmerston. Mom had a cousin by the name of Ken Henderson who happened to be the mayor of this town and was also the funeral director. As kids growing up, Mom and Dad dragged us to everything, especially funerals.
A memory that I have is, one summer afternoon we attended the funeral service of one of Mom's relatives at the Palmerston Cemetery. We ended up spending the rest of the afternoon walking along with Ken and basically had a "tour" of the grave sites of where my Mom's family is buried. Now keep in mind, Ken was quite the story teller or did he "weave webs". I'm not really sure but when you are just a kid, it doesn't matter and he was really good at the story telling. One thing about Ken is that he always stood with his hands clasped behind his back and he was never in a hurray about anything. Oh wait, yes there was one thing that he always made sure was right on time...funerals. Why? He had one thing on his mind at every funeral...the luncheon afterwards at the Palmerston United Church. Could these ladies put on a spread of food! And of course, the dessert trays!! The best assortment of squares you have ever seen especially date squares! Ken always remarked that a funeral wasn't the same without date squares. Perhaps attending all these post-funeral luncheons is where my sweet tooth got underway.

No comments: