Thursday, May 7, 2009

Me and My Mom


With Mother's Day approaching this coming weekend, I thought I would share a picture of my Mom for the occasion. Yep, that's me she's holding onto! Her name is Ruth. She grew up on a farm outside of Palmerston, Ontario. Before marrying my Dad, she worked as a secretary for Canada Packers in Harriston, Ontario. She then went on to become a farmer's wife on a dairy farm and raising five kids (or six if you count Dad). I still recall going to the barn early in the morning to find my Mom walking between cows with a milker in hand. We were only allowed to walk along the stable since Mom was afraid of one of the cows "stepping on us". I can still hear the sound of the cellar door latch opening knowing that Mom was in from the barn. I used to lay on the couch quietly waiting for that moment to come. I recall pretending that I was too sick to go to school so that I could spend the day with her without any interruptions from my other siblings. Mom is now in her early 70's and still remains very active and still enjoys her gardening and flowerbeds. Happy Mother's Day!! With lots of love from your family.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

What a great tribute to your mom and wonderful memories. It's neat what we remember the most. You mentioned the sound of the latch. I remember the sound of my mom going through her purse searching for a tissue for me or my brother......Take care.