Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Favorite Day of the Week...


Actually, I have two favorite days of the week. Thursday and Saturday. I will start with Thursday. Why do I like Thursday you ask? Well, in the Thursday edition of the Ottawa Citizen contains one of my favorite sections...FOOD! It contains recipes (this is where I get most of my ideas from), the latest cooking gadget, new grocery items and various columns including Fay Cook (she'll let you know what's happening in the Ottawa area revolving around food), Rod Phillips (wine critic, I like this guy!), and my absolute favorite, Anne Desbrisay, who does restaurant reviews (I like her even more than Rod). Okay, so who is the guy in the pic? He is the owner of Farbs Kitchen and Wine Bar in Ottawa and his restaurant was last weeks review. When you read through Anne's article, she begins by walking you through the front door, describes everything that she sees upon entering from the decor, colors, ambiance and then starts in on the menu beginning with appetizers, with a glass of wine (of course) and works her way right down through the main dishes and then hits the dessert section (hey, I usually start here). She will frequent a restaurant a few times for lunch and dinner and base her review on these visits. Farbs Kitchen got excellent reviews on the food, presentation but she nailed them big time, I mean big time on the service!! Yikes!! The service was described as a problem...a big problem!! Attitude and training!! Servers were unable to answer most basic questions about the food and wine list (yeah, I've experienced this many times. Sorry, but telling me that the reason why you can't recommend a white wine is that you don't drink it just doesn't cut it!!). Apparently the servers couldn't be bothered to memorize the two daily specials. She went on to describe how her dinner ended up in her lap by the server with no offer of a free replacement, complimentary glass of wine, or free dessert. It's a no-brainer!! None of that was done during her visit! (Oh my!!) She went on to describe how the servers huddled by the kitchen chatting and laughing, one on his cellphone, while diners waited near the front door. Another waiter apparently changed the bar TV to watch (of all things) Ultimate fighting. At this point, I would have gotten up and walked out which I have done in the past when dining out! Where was the manager? Is was probably the guy that turned on the TV? When it comes to dining out, I am very particular about a lot of things. Lets start with the food, this is why I came in the first place (presentation, taste, value) definitely the ambiance, atmosphere and the service!! Nothing sets me off more than to have a server approach your table with "Hey guys, howsitgoin?" Sorry, but you will never catch me at Kelsey's, Montana's or any other grill, steakhouse, "come out smelling like the kitchen" for obvious reasons. Many times we have gone out for dinner and be disappointed. Most of the time Neil will respond with "we could have had a better meal at home with better service". (He knows how to score points with me!) Anyways, I just had to make a comment in my blog. Anne is living my dream job. I would love more than anything to join her on a few tastings and offer my opinion.

1 comment:

Jack Glen said...

You can save money with Restaurants discount coupons and special offers, check www.clickmycoupon.com before you dining.