Monday, September 15, 2008

Ottawa Valley Button Show



This past weekend I attended the Ottawa Valley Button Show downtown Ottawa. Neil gave me ride downtown but turned down the invitation of attending the show with me. "Call me when you've had enough" Neil just didn't know what he was missing! I wasn't sure what to expect when I arrived since it was a first-ever Canadian button event. The show consisted of antique vintage buttons of all shapes, colours and sizes. There was also a display with the history of buttons. So much I didn't know. Apparently button collecting remains fairly unknown as an organized hobby in Canada but is very popular in the United States and Europe. Most of the buttons were displayed on cardboard in specific groupings (wooden, ceramic, metal etc). I overheard one of the ventors saying that her mother collected buttons for years and she just kind of took over her hobby and turned it into a part-time business. I did manage to pick up a few vintage buttons which I will use on one of my quilt labels or incorporate into a crazy quilt.
I did however purchase a few vintage buttons but it got me thinking of taking a trip to Goodwill and snoop through the clothing for more buttons.

1 comment:

Nellie Holmes said...

That's a show I would have loved - being a bit of a button collector myself! We just did the CreativFestival on the weekend. It was crazy busy all weekend.